Want to work with us?
With our recent project funding from Bergen Research Foundation (see here) we are now expanding. This is an exciting opportunity for us to attract engaged and enthusiastic academics to work on urban climate and energy transformation – and for you to be part of a dynamic group. We now have an open call for a position as postdoctoral research fellow. The position is for a period of three years.
Application to be made through the link at jobbnorge.no
About the project/work tasks:
The Spaces of Climate and Energy Lab (SpaceLab) http://spacelab.b.uib.no is a research group at the Department of Geography, University of Bergen, focusing on the interrelations between climate, energy and society. With funding from Bergen Research Foundation (BFS), SpaceLab is now expanding to develop internationally leading research on local and urban climate and energy transformation.
The postdoctoral research fellow will form part of SpaceLab, and contribute to building the group’s research agenda by conducting a research project and take part in related collaborative activities. Applicants need to present an independently developed research project addressing aspects of climate and energy transformation.
We welcome applications from a wide range of approaches within human geography and social science. Applications may use qualitative methods in innovative ways, or apply quantitative and Geographical Information Systems (GIS) approaches. The empirical context of the project should be Europe. The postdoctoral project should complement SpaceLab’s ongoing projects. For more information about these projects, visit the SpaceLab website or contact the project leader.
Funding for the postdoctoral position comes from the Akademia agreement between the University of Bergen and Statoil, and from the Bergen Research Foundation.
Qualifications and personal qualities:
- The applicant must hold a PhD within human geography or a relevant field in social science, or must have submitted his/her doctoral thesis for assessment prior to the application deadline. It is a condition of employment that the PhD has been awarded.
- The applicant must have experience with international publication activity
- The applicant must be able to work independently and in a structured manner, and have the ability to cooperate with others.
- Proficiency in both written and oral English.
Information regarding the postdoctoral position:
The position of postdoctoral research fellow is a fixed-term appointment with the primary objective of qualifying the appointee for work in top academic positions. The fixed-term period for this position is 3 years. Individuals may not be hired for more than one fixed-term period as a postdoctoral research fellow at the same institution.
A project proposal (max. 8 pages) explaining the intended theoretical contributions of the project, as well as the methodological foundations and the plans for empirical data collection must accompany the application. It is a requirement that the project is completed in the course of the period of employment.
We can offer:
- A good and professionally challenging working environment.
- Salary NOK 486 100 per year before taxes (code 1352) on the government salary scale upon appointment. Further promotions are made according to length of service in the position. A higher salary may be considered for a particularly well qualified applicant.
- Enrolment in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
- A position in an inclusive workplace (IW).
- Good welfare benefits and facilitation of international recruitment
Your application must include:
- A project proposal (max. 8 pages) explaining the intended theoretical contributions of the project, as well as the methodological foundations and the plans for empirical data collection.
- A brief account of the applicant’s research interests and motivation for applying for the position.
- The names and contact information for two reference persons. One of these must be the main supervisor from the PhD programme.
- CV including a list of publications
- Transcripts and diplomas and official confirmation that the doctoral thesis has been submitted.
- Relevant certificates/references.
- Up to five scientific publications
Interviews will be used as part of the evaluation process and potential candidates may be invited to hold a trial lecture.
Applicants should be aware that written evaluations of each candidate will be made available to all applicants, as per Norwegian regulations.
Applicants are advised to familiarize themselves with the teaching and research profile at the Department, please see http://www.uib.no/en/geografi.
The application and appendices with certified translations into English or a Scandinavian language must be uploaded at Jobbnorge following the link on this page marked “Apply for this job”.
The closing date is: October 31, 2016
Applications sent by e-mail will not be evaluated.
We kindly ask the applicants to follow the guidelines for applicants to postdoctoral fellowships positions at the Faculty of Social Sciences closely. The guidelines are obtainable by contacting email@example.com.
Additional information about the position is obtainable by contacting Researcher and project leader Håvard Haarstad, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, phone + 47 555 84 581 or Head of Department, Professor Svein Olaf Dahl, e-mail: email@example.com, phone +47 555 83 065.
Practical questions regarding the application procedures should be directed to senior officer Bodil Hægland, phone +47 55 58 90 53, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The state labour force shall reflect the diversity of Norwegian society to the greatest extent possible. Age and gender balance among employees is therefore a goal. It is also a goal to recruit people with immigrant backgrounds. People with immigrant backgrounds and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply for the position.
The University of Bergen applies the principle of public access to information when recruiting staff for academic positions.
Information about applicants may be made public even if the applicant has asked not to be named on the list of persons who have applied. The applicant must be notified if the request to be omitted is not met.
The successful applicant must comply with the guidelines that apply to the position at all times.